Monday, October 12, 2009

Ten Hut!?

The wearing of school uniforms has often been a hot topic. Button down white shirt, tie, skirts for girls, dockers for boys. But military uniforms? six school districts from Atlanta to Las Vegas have inquired about opening public military academies. The students would wear the traditional army uniform as well as take military classes and join the JROTC. If districts get the go ahead the would receive millions of dollars from the military. They would also be able to prevent dropouts by utilizing new strategies. The only thing holding these districts back seems to be the parents. Many feel it would be too much like an actual battlefield.

Vocabulary:
Military- (a) Relating to soldiers, arms, or armed forces
Inquired- (v) To ask about, investigate
Utilizing- (v) To make use of
Strategies- (n) A thought out plan or method
Traditional- (n) Customs passed down through generations

1. They were so strict that I felt like I was in the ___________.
2. This is a _______________ feast that we have every year.
3. I was happy to see them ___________ all of the resources available.
4. We learned many new important ___________ for teaching ESL.
5. I ____________ about the new email system they have just set up.

Grammar Point:
Main Verbs:
- Do not need to be accompanied by other verbs
- Convey the key meaning in any group of verbs

2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. If I was a parent, I'm not sure I would want to send my child to such a school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hate to wear a uniform. I think children should be able to wear what they want in order to express themselves!

    ReplyDelete